CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I will "Go and Do" the things which my father commands me!

Valuable lesson learned on Saturday September 22, 2007

I woke up this morning to a note on the Kitchen table from my Father. It read " Mike will you clear off the deck and mow the lawn, thanks love Dad." My first reaction to this is, "I just mowed the lawn on wed, and it was on a low setting and the guy across the street just cut his today and ours looks as short as his. I can wait until Tuesday to cut it before the inspection people and other people come, so that it is freshly done and looks great." So i said out loud, I will wait until Dad gets home,He was getting some supplies from Costco, and talk to him about it. So I carried on about my business and went and cleared off the deck and swept it. Mom came out and gave me something. I turned to her and said "do you think I should just mow the lawn now?" she replied "well, yeah." I then said I felt like I should because I now how stressed poor dad is with everything. trying to get things done around the house and still doing his full time job from like 5:30 in the morning until 6 in the evening. I knew that there was a lot of stress and I didn't want to add to it, by trying to explain that it might be better to mow the law on Tuesday before everyone comes. So I mowed the lawn. To my surprise, the grass was longer than I thought. After now cut it looked immaculate. There were many compliments given on it. I felt good and bad at the same time. Good because it did look nice and the compliments were very kind. Bad because I murmured. I relate this to the story of Nephi and his brothers when they were commanded to go back to their home to get the plates. Lamen and Lemuel complained, but Nephi said And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them. 1Nephi 3:7. Nephi did as he was told. He didn't complain and he didn't murmur. He is smart enough to know why the Lord would give this commandment. At times in our life we are commanded to do things, many times we don't know why we have to do them. we think oh this is stupid, this doesn't work. However, if we just do what the Lord commands us then we are blessed. we can't comprehend with our finite minds what our creator has in store for us. This is why we should just do it. I am so grateful for this valuable lesson that I learned. Maybe I was right in the manner of waiting until Tuesday to cut the lawn. (I must say though that I was not right). But that is not the point. The point is I needed to learn this lesson so that I could grown both physically and spiritually. I thank our Heavenly Father for his beautiful ways of painting a picture that we get. I hope that this blog makes sense to all those that read it. If it doesn't, at least I understand! Love you all!

9 comments:

Lyndi said...

I just want to say that I love you Michael!! Mom

Saramajayne said...

Mike some times we all could take the time to remember to listen to our heavenly father. Thank you for reminding me.

Jill Petersen said...

You are SO a returned missionary!

Aim said...

Hey! Thanks for keeping up on my blog all the time! I've been enjoying yours too. I was thinking about taking a trip down to Utah that same weekend but then I remembered....I hate Utah! hahahaha! Thanks but no thanks.

You know if you make it up to Montana there is always a spare bed with your name on it. We make the boys share a room cause we are ALWAYS having company and love to let them have their own space. So come make good use of it! love ya!

Matt and Amie

Laura said...

Well put Mike. I am sure glad you are home. Love you.

AuntieM said...

Mike, I hope you will always be able to express what you have learned from the scriptures and the spirit. Don't loose that feeling and ability to feel and to react to the prompting of the spirit. Thanks for giving us a reminder of how the advisary uses rationalization to keep us from preforming those things that really do matter. Best wishes on your move to Provo and in school.
Love You, Auntie M

Anonymous said...

Hey there little bro... Just wanted to let you know that I read your blog from Sept. and I wanted you to know that you are such an inspiration to me! I am so proud of you and all you accomplishments. :) You are such a great writer Michael... I love how you explain things! You totally put everything into context! I love you and miss you and can't wait til you come down here for your b-day!!! :) Yay!
Love, Ange

Jan Nut said...

Wow I really like this entry. It is such a good reminder for me of how little I really know and how much I must trust the Lord in ALL things.

Unknown said...

Perfect, now when the Dark Lord comes forth with peace and love and riches, you will do whatever He tells you to do.
He will be well pleased that you have learned to unquestioningly do everything that you are told, whether it is reasonable like mowing the lawn, or unreasonable.

Quick question, how do we know that you're not already unquestioningly doing his bidding? Who really motivates you to make posts like these?

Michael: Obey, but don't forget to think as well.